Dear JJHS Families:
Since scheduling is a critical step in providing your child the best program that KLSD can offer, it’s important the community be made aware of the course selection process at the secondary level.
The scheduling timeline below contains some changes from prior years. We have made these changes in order to better ensure that all students have access to the courses they request and so that class sizes in those courses will remain as favorable as possible. We ask that all families pay careful attention to the deadlines noted.
- January 11- Evening parent meeting for students entering grades 9-12 at JJHS.
- February 6- Course recommendation/selection day at JJHS.
- February 11- Portal closes to students for course selection.
- Week of February 12-JJHS Guidance counselors meet with students individually for course selection.
- April 13th- Deadline for parents who wish to waive their child into an honors-level course that was not recommended by a teacher. This is a firm deadline for both middle school and high school students. April 13th is also the deadline for students to make any other scheduling requests before the master schedule is built (after which, requests can only be accommodated to the extent they work within the fixed schedule).
- Week of June 4th- Students may request changes to elective courses. Every effort will be made to accommodate these requests, but students should know that they have a far greater likelihood of getting the courses they wish if they meet the April 13 deadline.
Thank you for your attention to this timeline and its important dates. As these dates approach, reminders will be sent to parents via newsletters and email messages.
If you have any questions regarding this process, please contact your child’s guidance counselor.
Steven T. Siciliano, Ed.D.